Sunday, March 09, 2008

Quick Take 1


(imagine hearing this in a Hugh Grant sort of accent)
“Emma tells me that you’re some sort of a professional darts player. Very sought after field of expertise, I’m sure you’ll have no troubles earning a living around here,” – J. G.

I am about to begin my third week in London. I guess I am finally regretting dropping out of law school. Would have been nice to be able to walk straight into a job that earns three times as much as my current going rate and instantly upgrade my scruffy wardrobe and buy cocktails in South Kensington – but – I am trying not to let this job hunting business get to me too much. I’ll give myself till end of the month – otherwise I might just have to get a pub job or move to Wales….


It’s a great change in mindset not being a tourist anymore and thinking about this city as if its going to be a place where I am going to live and be part of rather than just an observer passing through. I do love being in London. It is a fascinating city. It has to be the diversity and the innovation which it spins off that I appreciate the most. Its where the world converges and diverges and reinvent itself within the proximity of 20/30 kilometers square. Because its so big and there are so many different people here, conformity is hard to come by. There’s no single style or trend, just a multifacet of them living side by side in parallel like the rainbow pikellets they serve down the road. Yet everybody is edging forward everyday, trying to out do each other (and out drink each other), to be the greatest in the world in your small corner of the world. I like this pressure actually, it makes me not take things for granted and keep me wanting to offer myself and the world the best I can give. But there are so many expectations and costs about being who I want to be and who I can be in London, all I’m hoping is that I’ll try not to burn out, fingers crossed.

No comments: