Friday, May 25, 2007

M'salama Maroc!

Its Friday again and my last day in this beautiful place. Men in jilibas pour out of the mosque after the midday prayer and I was lucky to miss the que at the "fish n chip" shop.

I am by myself again and I am reflecting on the last three weeks. Every day has delivered me with new and stimulating experiences, every day the culture shock has made me confront my fears and use my ingenuity, every day Ive had the pleasure of feeling the warmth of the hosts and appreciate the possibility of reaching out to a different world.

The people here are so gentle and spiritual. They eat well, whether they are rich or poor there seem to be plenty from the land and sea whereever they are. They eat in style and they celebrate the growing and preparation of food, and the utensils and platters they serve food in are always so lushly decorated. They respect the animals they sacrifice. They make eating a big deal. They live well. In colours, in comfort, in cleanliness. Their surroundings are always asthetically pleasing no matter how simple the material. A Moroccan doorway or window is always dressed and decorated. They always peer out of ecelectic boxes that beautify their vision of the world.

By no means am I try to preach my politics here, but I really see the political reforms here being fantastic for women. Although it is the elite women who are doing well, the traditionally strong female roles in families continue to be the backbone of this society. I see them demanding the respect they deserve and men give it to them. Feminity comes in so many forms and ways and so does feminism.

I find myself fascinated by Islam, at least the way they do it here in Morocco. Dont worry not converting. I am just questioning. Spirituality is something I want to understand but could never quite reach. I envy those that can be so devout, if it is what they chose and they truly knoz it. I just know I could never relate to spirituality that is presented to me in a condensed structure or in a book. I could only understand it as a way of life that flows naturally and easily. never forced, imposed, misused or preached. I know I am making a huge generalisation but it seems like so many Moroccans really practice their religion in the way that I can relate to and respect, and their culture and politics let religious life develop and flourish along with progress, ideas and openess.

Looks like I'm going to have to come back.

No comments: