Sunday, January 27, 2008

Blast from the Past

Flying in through Makara in a Dash8

Went down to old Wellers last weekend to get yet more embassy admin done, and of course, see my crazy mates. It was the first NZ city we visited as a family in 1989, and it was exactly ten summers ago that I arrived here to live, on an overnight train, pulling into the station overlooking the long stretching harbour from the Hutt, Emerald City glistening... it will always be the maker of dreams.

Some places that poked deep into my memory:1) The docks where me and my sister chased seagulls 89; 2) further up Oriental Parade where I had my first kiss 98; To the right on the beach me and a young friend went skinny dipping in 99.










3) Sans Jewellery James Smith Corner - Brenda and I got ourselves very pierced in 98. Can't believe its still there!! 4) Beehive and Parliament House - protest after protest in the late 9os on the outside and then I ended up working inside 02-03. To the left under the Magpie Man tree where me and the same skinny dipping young friend also got hiddeously trollied one evening in 98. The security guards found us and didn't kick us out, he just made sure we had enough water.













5) Brenda at Olive - regular coffee & brunch hangout of everyone who is anyone. I used to live 1 minute from there in a giant warehouse on Marion Street. 200 people came to our parties. 6) The Seagull bridge between the Gallery and Frankitts Park where I celebrated my 18th birthday with another young friend (different one this time) over some soggy fry ups.












7) & 8) I have never swum without clothes in Evans Bay though. (Kathryn kindly took me out for a snorkel on Sunday). I ran around here on Round the Bays fun run a couple of years. Round the corner in a short drive its the celebrated Chocolate Fish cafe.











9) & 10) I lived amongst graffiti, henna dye, wet timber, incense, art house video libraries, secret pet cemeteries and fascist vegans in Aro Valley, just a very tiring up-hill stone throw to Vic Uni.

I wear these bright colourful memories like gemstones around my neck.

No comments: