Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Otherwise Preoccupied: Life in London @ 20 weeks

Ahhhh --- the 1st of July. Where did time go? I've just been so terribly busy with leading a full on hectic schedule of summer fun-ness in the grand city, more bits of weekend travelling, coping with daily routined administration and various challenges that wonder out of the blue. Updates in June to come below re camping in Wiltshire, mystery weekend along the canals, my one-woman reenactment of the D-Day landings in Normandy, and generally blissful summer life.

Family
I certainly feel a lot more relaxed at the moment than I had been in the last week or two, where my life had been knocked out of tune with the bad news that my grandfather had been hospitalised again, this time being in the worst state he had been in for a while. I had made arrangements to take leave and book tickets for Taipei, when I heard that he would pull through after all. For the first few days honestly I constantly felt so upset that I was nauseous, the thought of possibly losing him and being so far away from my family, my entire body aching and shivering with worry and guilt and uncertainty. Also what to do with the new contract I've just been negotiating at work, whether to just give it up and leave everything here and go. Thanks to my grandfather's lucky stars things are settling a little more, but I am still vigilant and I am ready to head back any time they need me. He really is a cat with 81 lives. I wish I could be half as tenacious as he is. ** bless you A Gong **

Work
Anyway. Phewww. So looks like work will offer me some more employment that will stretch me up till Christmas. It will mean less holidays and travels for the mean time, but a little more income and stability on my CV for the interim.

Housing
I am also moving out and moving on from Vicky's designer heritage listed apartment in Bayswater. As much as we enjoy a good yarn with each other, I am just not sure if I am mentally capable of managing her unpredictable mood swings and intense possessiveness. I need space, freedom from being constantly advised about everything, and the chance to feel relaxed in my own home and my own skin. My tolerance just ran out. I can't continue to be the grandchild she never had. I mean, I still maintain that she is one of the most interesting people I've ever met, and I have learnt so much stuff and changed a lot of my ways of thinking and behaviour because of her, but it is time to return to a life of normalcy, with people my own age, who are just a little bit more chilled and have less emotional baggage than some one that is basically the narrator of the 'I've Never Been to Me' song.

Boy
Another big development in my life is that since May I've been in a relationship with M-8, an unlikely suitor who is completely different to the type of guys I'd usually go for (OK, apart from being a little camp which is what I've always liked), but I just adore him. He is an extremely lively and energetic individual with boundless energy, guided by a quirky thought processes and an encyclopedia of irreverent jokes. A seductively trim triathlete when he's not at his desk job, he lives as fast as he swims/bikes/runs, basically always living about 15 minutes ahead of the rest of the world, it spins my head (in a really nice way) just to keep up with him and keep him entertained. We started off taking things really easily, considering that we are both at a very transient stage of our respective lives, and so its been very easy-going being in a fairly low-maintenance relationship where we are both very independent. I think it is rolling along nicely, but perhaps too nicely. I think it might be time soon for us to amp it up a notch. I think we are both capable of making this a much more intellectually challenging venture, give it a bit more intensity and grip. One of us at least needs to play up soon. Be more manipulative, be more demanding, be jealous, be immature, be insecure, be a little more serious, fall hopelessly in love. ..

yah
.

No comments: