Sunday, June 17, 2007

Rained out in Copenhagen

The City
I´d hate to think that the rain is following me, but shikes, this is really quite bad. The Danes tell me that it never rains in Denmark, and then I turn up!! I finally worked out why so manz Scandinavians like to export designer florescent gum boots.

Must say though even if it is pouring down like there´s no tomorrow, Copenhagen still looks like an absolutely amazingly grand and stylish city. The buildings, the people and the fashion all take clean cut lines, minimalist colours based on their seafaring naval colours, big broad roads and spaces and just look so swish without having to try. Danish people are goooorgeous and dress well. Think Princess Mary post wedding. Cute little Danes just bike past in the latest designer gear and even squeeze on a smile for you if you happen to be in their way. Copenhagen has some canals and reclaimed land too, they are much wider and occupied not by small commuter boats but huge luxury yachts that people just live on as boat houses. And the last thing you would find on the streets are holes on the ground, abandoned construction sites, rubble or misplaced rubbish, or a homeless person. But maybe I am just feeling a little bit out of place just cos it all feels so perfect here, if you know what I mean... There´s just nothing wrong, and therefore mysterious about Copenhagen, just, a little bit too nice.

The Side Trip
I did make a compulsory trip out to Odense, the home of Hans Christian Andersen, a good two hours train ride from CPH. Here are pics of his false teeth. He was also known to let out his own blood when he felt ill as a self cure kinda thing. And his museum has a fantastic collection of his papercuts. Odense was a chilled town and less busily than Copenhagen and the train ride took me through the low lands of open farms and lone staning danish farm houses. It is quite similar to Netherlands in some ways, like the country side, but you can tell that they are slightly more grander in the way they build and grow and fester things.

The Parties
Its not my fault that its been raining so much and all I could do with my spare time is sampling good Carlsberg beer and fine Danish cheese. My latest side kicks are two young girls from Iceland. Think Bjork, split her into a blond one and a brunette one, add the Powderpuff Girls, amplify the noise and aggression by ten and reduce the age by twenty five, then you get Ragna and Tartar. Ragna (frizzy brunette) is an au pair for a rich Danish family. She says she´s not a feminist BUT she thinks women shouldn´t wear make up cos it objectifies them but she finds hairy women scary. and Tartar(straight blond) doesn´t have an opinion ever till you mention Kiera Knightly `no no no, she´s not gorgeous, she needs MEAT.´. Anyway so I go through WISC 101 from March to July with them and they teach me about how people inherit their surnames in Iceland.

No comments: