Monday, June 25, 2007

The Um/Wow Factor



Yep, I'm here. At Mad King Louis Cinderella Castle in Fussen. But its a complete tourist trap taking advantage of a fucked up situation, be warned. I spent about four hours traveling to and from this place (since I'm in the neighbourhood), then another three hours waiting in five separate waiting lines, and then only 30 minutes inside being shown like 4 of the 200 rooms that exists.

I would definitely give it to it as a piece of intriguing art work, and the hike up to the bridge and the hill over looking it being rather fruitful. but I must say its has otherwise a very limited contribution to the general political history or cultural development of Bavaria. He built the castle after him and his family milked the entire population for generations, living in his own sheltered world of royal insanity, and only to die about 200 days after he lived in it. After that no one ever lived in it again, having been looked after by the Americans during WWII and then reclaimed by the state afterwards. and now you pay ten euros to have a half an hour tour of it.

If you need to kill time, go for it, but otherwise just email me and I'll send you a couple of pics.

No comments: