Sunday, December 18, 2005

Down with Diarrhoea

On our way home on the trek just after lunch I knew I was in big trouble. I had really severe pains in the stomach and vomited out everything. Then started dry renching. I couldn't drink any water without spewing it out but it was hot and I had to bring myself back to Luang Prabang with 2 hours of walking to go. Thank god Boon Pon carried my backpack for me and I managed to stumble home. That evening I had really bad diarrhoea and had bad fevers as well.

I am not all that suprised really, given that up in the tribe we stayed at I saw dogs and pigs drinking out of the dish-washing water... I would be fine if I was a Hmong, but I am just a delicate little thing straight from Canberra...

According to the Lonely Planet 30 - 50% of travellers get diarrhoea withing 2 weeks of beginning their trip. So I don't feel like such a loser anymore. A "rite of passage" I suppose. (OMG did i just say that??). I am getting by with the gastrolyte, and a barocca I traded off with an Australian (with a gastrolyte) whom upon learning that I was from NZ asked me if I was Maori.

Am feeling a lot better but will probably stick around in Luang Prabang an extra day rather than head down to Vientien straigh away - better safe than sorry.

1 comment:

Br3nda of coffee.geek.nz said...

oh patti... take care. all that yummy food you're missing out on :-(