Thursday, December 15, 2005

Laos

Laos is a breath of fresh air - literally!!

It was so nice touching down here after leaving smoggy and cold Hanoi behind - its like SUNNNNSSHHHINNNEEEEE!!!! bit like being in Cairns or Suva after being in Melbourne... Its just so clean and fresh here, green and mountainous I LOVE IT!!

Its almost tropical here except its further up north. I am in the "ancient capital" of Luang Prabang, this crazy middle sized village of a mixture of village ppl, hippy backpackers, beer cafes and hill tribe ppl. Most of the town is actually UNESCO listed as well, lots of monks walking around and doing drumming for the full moon at the world heritage temples. Soooo trippy! Lots of ducks and chickens walking around - as in, not on a plate, and am not sure if I am completely safe. ppl here are lovely, so much less pushy and easy going, feel so chilled out and relaxed after the mad rush in Hanoi.

I made the ride in from the "airport" with a bri-ish couple and a muslim looking Sweed, in the back of this cargo truck - which is really much more fun than the no-seatbelt taxis in Vietnam. My guesthouse cost me 4 USD a night, score! Went out to loose my Lao-beer virginity pretty much straight away with the charming bri-ish at the side of the Mekong river. It was really really yum actually, draught like and just easy to drink. hence my total tipsyness right now. yeeeaaaayyyy! Had a snack opposite this crazy Wat (temple) full of monks, at a one-week old cafe run by an aussie girl and her Lao partner. So its kinda fushion Lao-international food. Woooh the green chilly made me cry. Have promised to put her on the Lonely Planet chat room for a discount on the food.

I will be going on a two day trek first thing tomorrow, taking the "easy route" as my guide doesn't think i am up to the hard route, WHAT EVERRRR!!! as if Lance Armstrong comes here all the time. Will be sleeping with ducks and chickens as well - as in, in the next room, which isn't what I would prefer for a Friday night in the middle of bird flu season, so will try my hardest to avoid..... mmm come to think of it its a bit freaky maybe I can try get out of it...

Wow. Can't believe I'm here.

No comments: