Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Hanoi #2

I am quite enjoying my last night in Hanoi.

I had my first (and hopefully not last) Vietnamese hair cut this afternoon, ITS FANTASTIC!! it lasted like 2 hours and I had three ppl working on me - one washing and massaging, one styling, and one on blow dry and straightening. It really was art for them every strand was like carefully carved out. I didn't think that I would ever need straightening in my life, but man it did wonders. I made friends with the washing massage girl, she has just moved down from HaLong City and has relos in Canada, and wants to master hair dressing so she can start her own business there. But I probably won't keep in touch with the girl that did the blow dry, she made it smoke... nevertheless man I feel like a million dongs (ie about 75 bucks). But in actual fact it costed me about $4.50... I was feeling a bit fluy this morning but now its completely gone thanks to that head massage and blow dry!!

Had just done my last shopping at the night markets - traffic chaos seems so much more bearable at night and the markets seems to glow. Its the evenings that I feel Hanoi really comes to life. I am going to miss this smorgasboard for sure.

My last day was spent doing touristy things like visiting Uncle Ho himself at his muloseum. It was quite a sullen affair and it really did actually move me seeing him there. He didn't actually look real, as in, most of him is wax anyway, plus with the lighting he glowed in the dark and was some where between spooky and tacky. But with all due respect it was a fantastic experience being able to visit him, and being inspired by his life stories etc etc. Full rant to be inserted when I get to Taipei - my guesthouse lobby isn't exactly the most stimulating place. The presidential palace was really like a Soviet time vaccume, concrete, cold and lots of red flags. All the romantic notions are there except every time i accidently stood on the grass or walked away from the straight line drawn out on the ground some uniformed guard beeped at me with a whistle. Inside Uncle Ho's ex home, a fab garden was well kept. The large crowds of American Vets argued with the guide about their version of history. Everyone's got their history I suppose. I feel like me and my generation of travellers there just take it way too light heartedly...

The locals really have grown on me - I have already set my sister up with the night time receptionist - she doesn't know yet, he's sending through the diamond ring in the new year.. The day time receptionist is a cool lady called Lan who majored Russian at uni, but ended up using English for her jobs instead, she took me to this corner store for noodle soup for brekkie and is just a big sweety..Last night the guesthouse host The took me out for Kareoke, I mean, how could I refuse? It was a complete sensation the Vietnamese are just so into their ballads its not a joke. Seems to be less reserved than the japanese particularly with the dance move add ons - without being particularly drunk. My kareoke binge the night before on the boat had been dominated by West Life and Jeran Jeran(?) so when I talk about Sinatra I mean it. This mad photo they took of me hoarding the mike with the locals reluctantly drinking away. Actually feel a bit sad to leave these crazy folks now. But certainly not the Taiwanese Mafia, hope they rot in hell.

I suppose I did bite off more than I could chew in Hanoi, and did it - myyyy - wayyyy.